Monday, October 23, 2017

How to Destress as a College Student

College is stressful, to say the least. Constant tests, quizzes, projects, essays, presentations,  and on top of all that nightly homework. It can get very overwhelming, especially if you are a full time student like myself. Because I know the struggle of always being stressed, I put together a few tips and ideas to destress yourself!

  1. BREATH.
I know this sounds silly but often times we forget to just take a minute and breathe. With all the assignments clouding my headspace, I make sure to take some time and focus on just breathing. I have this app on my phone named Calm. It’s a really awesome tool to use if you’re especially stressed out. There’s a bunch of free activities to do, but my favorite is the breathing bubble. It gives you different noise cues, so you know when to breathe in, hold, and breath out. There is no timer, so you are able to focus on how long you need to practice breathing for. TIP: Close your eyes while doing this exercise it really blocks out any distractions so you can solely focus on breathing.

2. TAKE A WALK.
When I do my homework at home, I sit at my desk for hours trying to finish it all. I stare into my laptop and textbooks for hours searching for answers and trying to understand new topics, but sometimes I just get so overwhelmed I want to give up. I have come to the conclusion that it is because I am sitting in the same little corner for hours. So I get up and take a walk outside. Even if its around the block or down the street, something about fresh air and new surroundings makes me feel so much better. TIP: Try and be observant and listen carefully while you are on this walk. Focus on things like birds chirping, the wind rustling the trees, or even the sound of cars passing by. This will get your mind off of homework for a few minutes.

3. GO TO THE BEACH
Waves crashing is one of the most therapeutic sounds, ever. Lucky for us we live only a hop, skip, and a step away from it! Walking on the beach is one of my favorite things to do. I think this one is pretty self explanatory, but just taking a stroll or sitting on a towel at the beach is really helpful when I am feeling stressed out. TIP: Check what time the sun sets in the evening. Sunsets are really awesome, so if you can try and watch the sunset over the water at least once a week!

4. DO SOMETHING YOU LOVE.
It can be easy to neglect your wants, especially when you’re so focused on all the school stuff. I always make sure to do something I like to do every once in awhile. A few examples are making new playlists to listen to, watching a bunch of youtube videos, painting my nails, or even spending a little extra on my favorite meals.

I hope this brought you some inspiration to find ways to destress yourself. Mental health is SO important!

Take care of yourself,
Rian x


No comments:

Post a Comment